Welcome to the class!
We hope you won’t mind a little up-front homework before class begins. There are three parts to this assignment.
We ask that you fill out a short pre-course survey to help us gauge the overall comfort level of the class
Please watch the following three videos before the first lecture. The first will cover basic housekeeping for the course. There is also some technical information which might help you choose a camera and a short discussion on camera sensors.
- Note: We haven’t recorded this yet… Please check back. Lecture 0 (49 mins)
The second is a very short video segment of a lecture by Kurt Vonnegut on the shapes of stories. We’ll discuss it in the first in-person meeting.
- The shapes of stories (5 mins)
We want you to get to know your classmates a little better. You will record a video of yourself and upload to YouTube. In the video, you will tell us your name, where you’re from, an interesting thing about yourself, and your goals for the course.
There is no need for technical know-how for this assignment. Any camera/computer/phone will be fine for recording this video.
The steps below will walk you through the process:
- Record the video
- Position the camera so that we can clearly identify you * Record just before you’re ready.
- Introduce yourself:
- What’s your name?
- Where do you live? Where are you from?
- What might someone not know about you?
- What are two goals you have while taking the class?
Keep in mind: This video should be between 60 to 90 seconds. Please no videos longer than 2 minutes. After you’ve finished, import your video file to your computer if you used an external camera or phone to record. Or upload directly to YouTube from your device.
- Uploading to YouTube
- Open youtube.com in your browser (Chrome, Safari, etc.).
- Log on to your YouTube account OR create a new account
- Find the upload button, uploading your video, setting its privacy as
- Rename the YouTube video to
E-5 Introduction: Firstname Lastname
E-5 Introduction: Dan Coffey
- Once the video uploads, copy the video’s Youtube URL for submission
- Once your video is uploaded to YouTube, please submit your assignment via this form by Monday, February 03 by 4:00pm ET.
- Please let us know if you are not comfortable with us including your video in our class playlist. You can note as much when you submit your video.
That’s it! Welcome to the spring term, we’re glad you’re with us